Sami singing the song she wrote

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Sami's email for Feb 15

Once again, I am over a week behind in updating Sami's blog. Here is her email from Feb 15 plus some other communication she sent us.
So I was about to do what my companion Hermana Rodriguez does and write just one email to send to you guys and Presidente Chavez when I realized that you guys don´t speak Spanish. Opps. This week was amazing!!! But unfortunately I don´t have a lot of time to tell you about it in detail. AND... I yet again forgot to use the recorder you gave me to record messages. The least I can tell you is three of our investigators got baptized yesterday and each one of them was a miracle. It was such an awesome experience to teach them and help them arrive at the waters of baptism. It really strengthened my testimony that this is the work of God and that He is a god of miracles. And for that this work is a work of miracles. I love it. It´s tough sometimes but it is awesome. I´m so grateful to be a part of this work.Now I can see how everything fell into place. How the experiences I've had have prepared me to be here. This truly is the work of God and I can say that because I can see miracles every day. Miracles are just the manifestation of the power of God in our lives. If we don´t see miracles it´s not because He isn't there. It´s because we don´t have the faith we need to see them through. I learned that this week. God truly works miracles and sometimes it´s hard to believe but we need to trust in Him. A testimony doesn't come from the easy times nor from seeing miracles. It comes from choosing to trust in heavenly Father even when we can´t see the end, when we don´t know what is going to happen. Putting our trust in Him when it is difficult is what brings miracles and testimonies that He lives. And that He really is our Heavenly Father who cares for us and wants us to return to live with Him. The gospel really is a beautiful thing when you thing about it. It all comes down to love and putting other people first.

Well, I love you. I´ll put you first when I get back. :)
 love,
Hermana Smith
ps. Thank you for the tabs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
( I sent her some guitar TABs for some English and Spanish Sheet music.)
This is from a letter that Sami sent:
 I'm learning things, some of which I already knew, others which I didn't. One thing that I am realizing is what is really important for me in this life. Or maybe some things that aren't really that important that keep me from other things. For example: Important ->my Family, Not Important -> Vegging out in front of the TV. Important -> Gaining Knowledge/Studying, Not Important -> Spending all my time and money on clothes in Thrift Stores (but I' so good at it). And the things that are important to me aren't necessarily important to other people (my religion). Nothing brings that point home more than spending all day, every day, sharing it with other people. But it helps me realize how important it really is to me. If it wasn't, I definitely wouldn't be here.
Something else I've realized is that no one can prove that the church is true. It's absolutely impossible. But, on the other hand, no one can prove that it's false (and people have been trying to do that since it was formed). The more the church withstands the attacks of its dis-creditors, the stronger my logical testimony grows (yes I have a logical testimony and a spiritual testimony). Because to me the church just makes a lot of sense. We have a purpose here, God is actualy our Father and we can become like him. There is a point to trial and adversity, we can't grow without it. God didn't leave us here alone. He gave us instructions so we could accomplish what we came here to accomplish. Some people don't want to look at the instruction. Other people changed the instructions beause they thought they had a better idea. But God is just and fair and he wasn't going to let the mistaken ideas of a few (or many) of his children screw it up for the rest of us. So he gave us instructions again. And there are still people who don't want to follow them and others who want to change them because they think they have a beter idea. But God doesn't want us to be confused, so he gave us prayer so we could communicate with him. It's jut like when I call you, I can't see you either, but i know your're there because you answer me when I talk. It's the same with Heavenly Father and prayer, except sometimes it takes a little more work and practice to recognise his answeres, but that doesn't make them any less real. For me I kow that this church is true. I know in my mind and in my heart and I will not deny the witness I've received from my Heavenly Father just because I can't prove to anyone that he is there. It is also impossible to prove that he is not there.

And from a recording she sent us:
I was reading Alma 15:16 (And it came to pass that Alma and Amulek, Amulek having forsaken all his gold, and silver, and his precious things, which were in the land of Ammonihah, for the word of God, he being rejected by those who were once his friends and also by his father and his kindred) - I had not realized that he left everything to preach the gospel - he did all of that for word of god. And in Alma 15:18 (Now as I said, Alma having seen all these things, therefore he took Amulek and came over to the land of Zarahemla, and took him to his house, and did administer unto him in his tribulations, and strengthened him in the Lord.) Alma took Amulek in and administered to him. As members we have a responsibility to help people who are converting - help them figure out what is going on - help them to feel comfort - be their friends and help strengthen them in the lord. You  find new things every time you read in the Book of Mormon. The Lord is awesome and works in mysteries ways

Before I was a missionary when I saw people I did not know at church I was afraid to talk to them - but now I am on the other side. Bringing investigators to church and activities, it is scary trying to get others to talk to them. So just remember to talk to less active members, investigators, new converts & new members.

No comments: