Sami singing the song she wrote

Monday, January 4, 2010

Letter from Jan 4, 2010

Dear Family,

I am giving you a New Year´s hug (tradition here, in liu (?) of a New year´s kiss. My new companion is named Hermana Rodriguez and she is originally from Mexico but she has been living the US for the past 4 years. I was having a little bit of trouble transitioning at first because I had grown accustomed to the way Hermana Grahn worked but now it is all fine. She is awesome. Her Spanish is so beautiful. Probably because she has been speaking it her whole life. It´s funny though because she is helping with my Spanish and I am helping her with her English. :)

I would just like to share something I learned this week. I´m pretty sure that I have the most legitimately awesome mother in the entire world. I was reading those cranes (by the way, I still can´t figure out how to fold them up again...) and I've pretty much opened all of them because I couldn't stop myself. Lack of self-control on my part, I know. Really, mom, I don´t know if I can communicate how incredibly legit you are. Keep it rollin.

Zone conference is this Wednesday so I´ll let you know how it goes next Monday. And guess what. Remember how I always wanted to learn how to play the piano? Well I´m the only one in the ward that can read music since Hermana Grahn and Hermana Meikle left. Which means that I will be playing the hymns for Sacrament meeting from now on. Hehe. It´s going to be a little rough for a while. And I´m also directing the choir now so if you find any vocal exercises or anything on the internet that could help me I would definitely appreciate it. I´m going to practice piano in the chapel 3 times a week after lunch and pray. A lot.

Could you just tell Tallia, Jon and my sister Alice Sage how when I think about them it makes me happy because I love them? Thank you.

I´m pretty sure I´m good with thermal underwear but I would appreciate warm knee high socks I think. And a warm hat. I think I can figure out the other stuff. It would probably be easier for me to buy a warm coat here so you don´t have to pay for shipping.

Yeah, so I´m doing well. Lately I've been realizing how I´m not really that patient, compassionate, generous, or charitable. At least these characteristics come and go in waves... But we are all here to learn and improve and if I can´t recognize my faults, how am I supposed to make them strengths? There´s a scripture I really love in Galatians but apparently I don´t love it enough to remember the reference so good luck finding it. It´s about how as humans we are weak but in Christ and through His Atonement we are made strong. But I will admit that I´m grateful that I don´t recognize all my faults at once so I don´t flip out or something. The Lord never gives us more than we can handle, but He will gives us enough to make us sweat a little. If this life was always super easy no one would ever improve. I know that the hard times I´ve experienced in my life have made me stronger and more capable to face challenges here and more challenges I will face in the future.

There are 2 zones in Chillán.

I would love to be in The Most Magical Place on Earth with My Family.

Well. It sounds like you are all having a lot of fun in your respective places. Thanks for keeping it real, Fam.

Dad and Mom, you should go on a walk together.

love,

Hermana Sami Smith

No comments: